If your project shares our aim of making a positive impact on the lives of children and young people through a commitment to quality charitable work, it may be eligible for a Wooden Spoon grant.
We ask that you review our qualifying criteria below before completing and returning an application form to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to the national office.
If a project is a physical, tangible asset of a permanent nature, the following must apply:
- It must have a minimum predicted life span of five years (preferably ten), be non-transferable and of a permanent nature. Special consideration may be given to funding life-enhancing/medical equipment if it can be shown that the useable life of such equipment is likely to be at least five years.
- Grants will not be considered for salaries, administration costs, professional fees and on-going overheads related to a capital project.
If a project is educational or disability sports-focused, the following must apply:
- There must be a key rugby element to engage children and young people.
- It must have a clearly-defined brief detailing the project’s need and objectives; stakeholders; description of participants (age, gender, geography); recruitment of participants; project activity and budget; legacy planning; monitoring and evaluation and mechanism for reporting to Wooden Spoon.
- Grants will be considered for kit and equipment, salaries and administration costs.
- Enhance and support the lives of children and young people (under the age of 25) who are disadvantaged physically, mentally or socially.
- Work directly with children and young people and have a positive influence on their lives as a result of the activities or service provided.
- Benefit those located in the UK or Ireland.
- Support a group – we cannot make grants to individuals.
While there is neither a minimum nor maximum grant level, it is unlikely projects of a physical nature under £5,000 in value will have sufficient substance and scale to qualify under the “projected life span” criteria. See examples of successful projects here.
How to Apply
If you think you are eligible for a Wooden Spoon grant, please download our Wooden Spoon Grant Application Form (August 2018).
Please complete the form as fully as possible and return to email@example.com or by post to Wooden Spoon, Sentinel House, Ancells Business Park, Harvest Crescent, Fleet GU51 2UZ.